- Sound Lane, Ravensmoor (adjacent to the woodland)
- Brook Lane, Burland
Places of Worship
The Baddiley and Ravensmoor Methodist Church, formerly a Wesleyan Chapel is located on Swanley Lane in Ravensmoor (at SJ 620 507). Dated 1878, the building is of orange brick with stone dressing and has a prominent circular window and pillars capped with decorative stonework. A Primitive Methodist Chapel dating from 1833 was located in the parish; this closed in 1965. The beautiful and ancient church of St Mary’s in Acton serves the surrounding area.
In March 2000 the small area of mixed woodland on the corner of Baddiley Lane and Sound Lane was planted by local volunteers led by Burland Parish Councillors and Roy Aspinall to commemorate the millennium. There are several benches and gravel paths in amongst the young trees, which are predominantly oak, birch, hazel and holly. A plaque fixed to a large boulder in the south-east corner of the wood marks the event.
The area was formerly occupied by North West Water (now United Utilities). Burland Parish Council now maintain the site as an area of public open space. The name is derived from Roy Aspinall’s nickname of “Spinner”.
Seasonal views of the Woodland and recent repairs
Photos courtesy of Robert Ginder